Sunday, March 09, 2008

I can't believe I did it

First, the writing on the CherryPop story is going swimmingly, and I'm having fun writing her blog as well (thought it's harder to do than I imagined.) I have, for the first time in my life, the entire story from start to finish is imagined. I'm fleshing out my characters, and I'm using Ficlets (which just one the SXSW Web Award for CSS design. Woot!) to work out pieces of the story and gauge whether I'm on the right track with it. So far so good!

And for the hell of it, I created a Twitter account for CherryPop too :)

BUT, I did something this weekend that frankly, I'm astonished I did. There is a fan show/podcast for Buffy called "Between the Lines" where they write actual episodes and cast fans as the characters from the show. They put it all together into a podcast and frankly, it's pretty fucking cool. They've finished their first season and are holding open auditions for their second season.

So I auditioned. What the hell right? All you need is a mic and recording software, and you can use Audacity, which is free. I happen to have Audition so I used that. Anyway, I had to record myself using dialogue from the character I was trying out for. I'd love the part of Drusilla, the spacey, deadly English vampire because she's one of my favourites so I did her lines. But I also figured I'd audition for a few other parts too:

Drusilla - Crazy psychic vamp
Cordelia - Total Cali cheerleader type
Lilah Morgan - Vicious bitch lawyer at Wolfram & Heart
Gwen Raiden - Electro-girl/well-paid thief

The links go to the audition pieces I had to record.

I'm sure I sucked immensely but I had fun anyway. But that's not the kicker. The kicker is after I sent my audio and application in, they wrote me back and asked for a sample of me singing because I guess they're contemplating a musical episode. No power in the 'verse will make me post that audio sample so don't even ask. But I did it :) They wanted a snippet sung from any song in the Buffy musical episode, "Once More with Feeling." I sang the first verse of Anya and Xander's song, "I'll Never Tell." (Link goes to youtube, uhh a Sims version of the song. It's weird but all I could find.) My cheeks are blushing just thinking about it. I sound great in my car with a CD blasting (and overpowering my voice) but this was a capella, and I had to rely on my memory for the tune. Shan said it wasn't bad but that I was flat. Ah well :) I thought I could probably induce dogs to howl.

But, fun was had and I probably won't end up with a part, but at least I tried out :) And Mike - They're going to be producing a Firefly version of this :) You'd be great as Wash :)

4 Comments:

At 11:54 PM, Blogger SupComTabz said...

Congrats!! I'm glad you did audition, it can be weird talking into a mic and acting at first, but I -love- it now. :)

Tabz
Producer
Buffy Between the Lines

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Asinine Army said...

I'd be a great Wash...that might be the nicest thing anyone's said to me in months.

Shoot me the details, pretty please!

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger atomicweightofcheese said...

Aww :)

The BtL site says they'll be doing the first season of Angel after they finish this 2nd season of Buffy, and then they'll do Firefly after that. So it could be a while.

"Our current plan is to do Angel Between the Lines following this season of Buffy Between the Lines and Firefly Between the Lines after that. You are welcome to check back with us when we cast for those productions. Just keep an eye on this site for details. However, we would like to suggest to any hopefuls for those productions that it is to your benefit to become a part of the team now so we know you are dependable and able to work well with us."

If I end up working with these folks I'll keep an eye out.

And thanks supcomtabz! It was fun whether I end up with a part or not :) I feel good just for trying out.

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger SupComTabz said...

Yep, at this rate Firefly Between the Lines will be Fall of 2009.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who?

Contact

CherryPop McGee...

CherryPop McGee is the daughter of a renowned Necromancer and famous Witch. She's grown up amongst wizards and witches and vampires and yes, even zombies. In fact, her bodyguard and close friend is a zombie. Her other best friend happens to be a vampire. You can read more about CherryPop at Ficlets (follow the sequels) or you can check out her blog at cherrypopmcgee.com

CherryPop's latest posts:

Help me out here...


I'm trying to find found the picture hanging behind David Boreanaz in this screencap. My quest is at an end. Thanks to everyone who helped me along the way!

Mel's Mixes...

I like to make dialogue remixes. It's fun damnit. Mostly Buffy/Angel/24/Bones stuff for now.
Right-clicky, Save as:
Captain John Hart - NEW! A Torchwood remix, feat. James Marsters
Cavemen vs. Astronauts Debate - An audio file of the Great Debate between Spike and Angel

Sometimes I write...

ficlets featured author

Subscribe to RSS headline updates from:
Powered by FeedBurner

Previously...

What am I doing?

    follow me on Twitter

    Syndicate & Stuff



    Tags

    Check out my Netflix Queue :)

    Go and See

    The Past

    Etcetera

    Powered by Blogger