Monday, September 20, 2004

I did a bad bad thing.

I haven't blogged in ages. But let's just take it as a given that I feel guilty about it and that in my defense I've been busier than I usually am and leave it at that.

Moving on, the job is really starting to become something I'm excited about. Admittedly I was a little... dejected I think, after I first started.My first day didn't go very well, and it was a weird sort of come-down to lose my office and my nice Windows machine with up-to-date software in exchange for an open plan environment and a crappy Apple with out-of-date software. I think that was more of a big deal than I thought it would be in the beginning because I'd have moments of wishing it were the weekend and the Sunday night dread of having to go back to work.

Not that I didn't have that working at the hospital mind you. It just didn't seem as intense. Another thing that has been bothering me (and I promise this is the last thing, because it really does get better) is my inherent shyness that I just can't seem to break free from. It never fails. I'll never be one of those people who can just become ensconced in new surroundings and make instant friends no matter how much I want to. I'll always be one of those people that just take a while to loosen up. It's because I'm easily intimidated I think. The other New media producer is a really cool 'rock chick' who's into the latest tunes and concerts and has a great sense of style. She's been there a long time, knows everyone, everyone enjoys her sense of humour and occasional moments of wackiness. Essentially, she's where I was when I left the hospital. I'd been there a long time, everyone knew my sense of humour and my own moments of wackiness. Now I'm the new one on the totem pole. The Web editor guy is far too cute to be a geek. Even my daughter thinks he's hawt and it can be disconcerting to speak to him even though he's as nice as can be; I still have to avert my eyes sometimes.

My boss is also really nice, and she's either the same age as or maybe even a little younger than myself. Married, couple of kids, funny, easygoing.

But anyway, everyone I've met has been welcoming and friendly. I LOVE listening to the reporters as they scurry about going after stories and interviewing people. I love watching the whole newspaper process come together day by day. I love that this company's corporate offices are excited and gung ho about online services and journalism and I'm excited that I get to be a part of driving print media in a new direction. I love how my daughter gets to tell her friends her mom works for the newspaper. I love that I was asked casually if I'd be interested in writing something once a month about the new TV season by one of the reporters. I love that I can take initiative and jump into projects without waiting for the go-ahead from some committee or boardof directors...

It's just getting better and better and I finally feel like I'm loosening up and getting to know my new coworkers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who?

Contact

CherryPop McGee...

CherryPop McGee is the daughter of a renowned Necromancer and famous Witch. She's grown up amongst wizards and witches and vampires and yes, even zombies. In fact, her bodyguard and close friend is a zombie. Her other best friend happens to be a vampire. You can read more about CherryPop at Ficlets (follow the sequels) or you can check out her blog at cherrypopmcgee.com

CherryPop's latest posts:

Help me out here...


I'm trying to find found the picture hanging behind David Boreanaz in this screencap. My quest is at an end. Thanks to everyone who helped me along the way!

Mel's Mixes...

I like to make dialogue remixes. It's fun damnit. Mostly Buffy/Angel/24/Bones stuff for now.
Right-clicky, Save as:
Captain John Hart - NEW! A Torchwood remix, feat. James Marsters
Cavemen vs. Astronauts Debate - An audio file of the Great Debate between Spike and Angel

Sometimes I write...

ficlets featured author

Subscribe to RSS headline updates from:
Powered by FeedBurner

Previously...

What am I doing?

    follow me on Twitter

    Syndicate & Stuff



    Tags

    Check out my Netflix Queue :)

    Go and See

    The Past

    Etcetera

    Powered by Blogger