Thursday, November 01, 2007

Ficlets

I know you're probably sick to death of me going on and on about how much I dig Wil Wheaton (and I don't mean that in a stalkery fangirl kind of way either. I reserve that behaviour for James Marsters, Kiefer Sutherland and David Boreanaz :) )

No I just count myself lucky that I found his blog oh so long ago because he's never steered me wrong when it comes to finding the coolest stuff on the Net. As a writer who's had some success with his nonfiction books and as a blogger - two things near and dear to my heart - I really enjoy following his journey from getting an idea to getting it 'out there.'

Anyway, enough being gushy, I really wanted to to post about the site I found through his blog called Ficlets. I read about it yesterday and as of five minutes ago I've published five ficlets and am so eager to write some more.

The purpose of Ficlets is to write a story in 1,024 characters or less. That works out to about 4-5 short paragraphs or so. The beauty of the idea is then other authors on the site can write a prequel or sequel to your ficlet and pretty soon a whole story is born. It's really fun to see the twists and turns a story idea of yours can take when other people take control. I know the idea of round robins in storytelling is nothing new, but it's still fun.

For instance, a ficlet I posted is actually the beginning to a finished story I wrote while ago. So I know where my story goes, and how it ends etc. The main character is a male. When I posted just the beginning of it, a commenter assumed the lead char was a female. Another writer just posted a sequel to one of my ficlets (my first sequel!) and went in a completely different direction than my actual story did. It's just so interesting, you know?

Anyway, I'm totally hooked and would not be surprised if I stay up far too late tonight reading and writing ficlets because this site is getting me so jazzed about writing. I haven't felt like this about it in forever. It's teh awesome.

Thanks Wil.

(oh and off-topic, but my Vampcakes were a big hit at the office. Woot!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who?

Contact

CherryPop McGee...

CherryPop McGee is the daughter of a renowned Necromancer and famous Witch. She's grown up amongst wizards and witches and vampires and yes, even zombies. In fact, her bodyguard and close friend is a zombie. Her other best friend happens to be a vampire. You can read more about CherryPop at Ficlets (follow the sequels) or you can check out her blog at cherrypopmcgee.com

CherryPop's latest posts:

Help me out here...


I'm trying to find found the picture hanging behind David Boreanaz in this screencap. My quest is at an end. Thanks to everyone who helped me along the way!

Mel's Mixes...

I like to make dialogue remixes. It's fun damnit. Mostly Buffy/Angel/24/Bones stuff for now.
Right-clicky, Save as:
Captain John Hart - NEW! A Torchwood remix, feat. James Marsters
Cavemen vs. Astronauts Debate - An audio file of the Great Debate between Spike and Angel

Sometimes I write...

ficlets featured author

Subscribe to RSS headline updates from:
Powered by FeedBurner

Previously...

What am I doing?

    follow me on Twitter

    Syndicate & Stuff



    Tags

    Check out my Netflix Queue :)

    Go and See

    The Past

    Etcetera

    Powered by Blogger