Sunday, April 23, 2006

The Row

Look what they done to the Row, Doc.
Made her up into a fancy lady,
now she begs for the tourist's dollar
never mind about us, Doc.
They don't want us.

All done up in T-shirts and wind socks.
What's the point, Doc?
Just what is the point?

The Row, she was pretty
when she was our home. A real
family we had - now, ah
it's just so sad, Doc, just so sad.

Somebody went crazy with cement, Doc.
Poured it every whichway, turned the Row into
a parking lot. Poured all the character
right into parking lots. That's what the
Row is today, Doc. Sure glad you can't see
it looking like this. Poured cement and went away. Left big pillars sticking out of the ground.

Got an aquarium you'd probably like. You couldnt
afford a ticket in, but you'd probably like it if
you could.

The boys are gone, the girls drifted off.
No heart left on the Row, Doc, not without you.
Still...
sometimes a bubble of laughter floats down from a
balcony...and.....
Look what they done to the Row, Doc.


Cool eh? My mother wrote that when we lived in Monterey. She's talking about Cannery Row (made famous by John Steinbeck and known as home to Doc Ricketts, a marine biologist who lived on the Row until he was killed by a train.)

The Row had such a great history - old sardine factories, Doc's lab, a brothel, stuff like that. Really colourful. Now it's nothing but a tourist trap anchored by a really great but expensive as hell aquarium. The shops sell gaudy baubles and surf t-shirts, Doc Rickett's is now a raunchy bar and the view of the beautiful bay is obscured by ugly hotels and parking lots. It's sad. Doc's lab is still there but the whorehouse is now (well at the time we lived there anyway) an ice cream shop, a radio station (KNRY) and gift shop hell.

But enough of that. I was going through some of my mother's things yesterday - stuff I hadn't touched since she died - and I found a goldmine of folders with her writings in them. Short stories, story ideas and outlines, and her poetry. She was a romantic, my mum :) I'm so happy I found this stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who?

Contact

CherryPop McGee...

CherryPop McGee is the daughter of a renowned Necromancer and famous Witch. She's grown up amongst wizards and witches and vampires and yes, even zombies. In fact, her bodyguard and close friend is a zombie. Her other best friend happens to be a vampire. You can read more about CherryPop at Ficlets (follow the sequels) or you can check out her blog at cherrypopmcgee.com

CherryPop's latest posts:

Help me out here...


I'm trying to find found the picture hanging behind David Boreanaz in this screencap. My quest is at an end. Thanks to everyone who helped me along the way!

Mel's Mixes...

I like to make dialogue remixes. It's fun damnit. Mostly Buffy/Angel/24/Bones stuff for now.
Right-clicky, Save as:
Captain John Hart - NEW! A Torchwood remix, feat. James Marsters
Cavemen vs. Astronauts Debate - An audio file of the Great Debate between Spike and Angel

Sometimes I write...

ficlets featured author

Subscribe to RSS headline updates from:
Powered by FeedBurner

Previously...

What am I doing?

    follow me on Twitter

    Syndicate & Stuff



    Tags

    Check out my Netflix Queue :)

    Go and See

    The Past

    Etcetera

    Powered by Blogger