Tuesday, May 20, 2003

I'm trying to decide if my thumb is green enough to handle a small trellis with some Jasmine entwined on it. I think it would be really lovely to have some on my balcony. I was actually thinking of buying some trellis slats and fixing them to the sides of the balcony to give us a bit more privacy. Not sure if the landlord will allow that though. What I really want to do is paint. I *really* don't think the landlord would allow that though. In fact after a quick call to her I've discovered I'm not allowed to paint, put border up or put a trellis on the balcony :( I hate that. Why could I not paint at the least? Especially if I said I would paint it back to the blah white it is now when I leave. How depressing.

I hate apartment life. It's fine if you're young and footloose and fancy-free, but man, I'm sick of hearing neighbours fighting, neighbours screwing, neighbours screaming across the courtyard, neighbours smoking weed while I try to explain to my child what that funky smell is. I'm also tired of hauling groceries up three flights of stairs, and climbing four flights to do laundry. I want a garage. I never want to scrape ice off of my car again. I want a lawn that I can pay someone to mow. I want to run around the house without fear of disturbing the neighbours. I want a little garden. I want a place where I can DIY to my heart's content.

Well why don't I go find a house to live in? Hmmm.. There are two major 'pros' to where I'm living now: 1. Rent is cheap, but place is nice enough and 2. My landlord is incredibly cool about working with me when I'm struggling to get rent paid on time. Which *knock on wood* I haven't had trouble with so far this year, but then it's only May.

I need to come up with some sort of plan. I think the key to me getting away from here with little fuss from the family is if I was offered a job somewhere that paid incredibly well - well enough that I just couldn't turn it down. I often have people ask me why I stay here in Nebraska if I hate it so much and the answer is not easy to make them understand. Here's the short version: When I left my ex-husband, I had nowhere to go, no money, no clothes, nothing. I moved back in with my family in California and began a struggle to get back on my feet. Six months later they decide they can't afford California anymore and I have no choice but to come back to Nebraska with them. If they couldn't afford it, how could I, a single parent with a baby? So Nebby beckoned. My father died right after we arrived here, moved a few times and ended up where I am now, got my act together and put myself through college and still hated the lack of anything to do here so I upped sticks and moved to England for a year and loved every minute of it. Unfortunately, I had a tyrant boss, and I was working illegally. After coming back, my mother died. Followed soon after by my Aunt and aside from my grandparents, that's pretty much my entire family. My sister lived 3 hours away while she was at university, then she moved back to Cali, and now she's living in London.

Did I say short version? Hehe. You should see the long version :D

Anyway, my grandparents are wonderful people, but they are also what ties me down here and I know that's awful to say. I love them dearly. I want my daughter to be around what little family she has left as much as she can, so the sacrifice on my part is that I work in a great job for shit pay, live in an OK apartment with shitty neighbours and continue to struggle with no opportunity to improve the situation short of winning the lottery. So I need a plan of attack. And I need time to think up a good one. I need to stop waiting for opportunity to come to me and go out and make it happen. *cheesy slogan alert*

So I'll write if I come up with a good one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who?

Contact

CherryPop McGee...

CherryPop McGee is the daughter of a renowned Necromancer and famous Witch. She's grown up amongst wizards and witches and vampires and yes, even zombies. In fact, her bodyguard and close friend is a zombie. Her other best friend happens to be a vampire. You can read more about CherryPop at Ficlets (follow the sequels) or you can check out her blog at cherrypopmcgee.com

CherryPop's latest posts:

Help me out here...


I'm trying to find found the picture hanging behind David Boreanaz in this screencap. My quest is at an end. Thanks to everyone who helped me along the way!

Mel's Mixes...

I like to make dialogue remixes. It's fun damnit. Mostly Buffy/Angel/24/Bones stuff for now.
Right-clicky, Save as:
Captain John Hart - NEW! A Torchwood remix, feat. James Marsters
Cavemen vs. Astronauts Debate - An audio file of the Great Debate between Spike and Angel

Sometimes I write...

ficlets featured author

Subscribe to RSS headline updates from:
Powered by FeedBurner

Previously...

What am I doing?

    follow me on Twitter

    Syndicate & Stuff



    Tags

    Check out my Netflix Queue :)

    Go and See

    The Past

    Etcetera

    Powered by Blogger